Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Multitasking Supermodel

Many years and many models have gone by, but not many remain as active and inspiring as the lovely Ms. Claudia Mason, whom I had the pleasure of representing during my time working at Elite Models.

Claudia doesn't settle down, she writes, produces plays, directs, wins awards, shoots movies, dances and in whatever time she has left, she models. It's breathtaking.

Allow yourself to be taken out of breath too in this week's model musing column, just follow THIS link!

:)

Model Musing: Claudia Mason

With a passion for the arts, Claudia Mason is one of those girls that rose to stardom in the supermodel era, alongside names like Christy Turlington, Claudia Schiffer, Linda Evangelista and Naomi Campbell; Claudia had her brand established in the fashion industry right from the start. Discovered in a music store at the age of 13 she was attending New York’s prestigious School of American Ballet and was a very serious student. It wasn’t until she was 15 years old that things became really serious, and from that moment on she didn’t stop. Claudia’s first booking was for Vogue, and from there on Elle, Wand Bazaar followed, always shot by names like Bruce Weber, Mario Testino, Arthur Elgort, Patrick Demarchellier and Steven Meisel, to name a few.
Long and languid, Claudia was a queen of the runways, and soon also became a must-book for top campaigns. One of Gianni Versace’s favorite models and repeatedly used in his campaigns, she also modeled for Fendi, Valentino, Christian Lacroix and many others.
Claudia then went on to host MTV’s Fashionably Loud, starred in an Enrique Iglesias music video and caught Hollywood’s attention. The pursuit of the acting career lasted a few years in Los Angeles until fashion took her attention once more. In the same year she was receiving awards for her theater production of Tennesse Williams’s Orpheus Descending and superstar stylist Katie Grand repeatedly booked Claudia for Love Magazine and Vogue Russia.
Here, Claudia reminds us that acting, producing and writing are still the leading roles in her life nowadays. Duly noted.
Why do you love this picture?
I love this picture because it's old school movie star glam! It is from a LoveMagazine spread last year, and it's one of my favorite recent pictures of myself.
Who took it?
David Hughes was the photographer and Phoebe Arnold was the stylist! Great team!
How was the shoot like?
It was a one day shoot in London, and it was freezing cold and snowing outside! December 2010 I was relieved to be shooting inside, with heaters around.
What were you thinking  as you were shooting this?
I was thinking how uncomfortable I was in that position, as my neck was 'resting' on a concrete sharp edge. Ah fashion!
Did you receive any direction from the photographer?
The photographer wanted 'relaxed glam'.
Were there any wardrobe malfunctions?
My nipple popped out a couple of times - nothing major.
What was the theme for this shoot?
It was a jewelry story, so it needed to have an expensive air to it. Relaxed decadence.
What was your biggest challenge as a model?
Biggest challenge as a model is to not take my career for granted, as it has been so good to me.
Are there any regrets?
I would have liked to have had more fun when I started modeling.
Was there a modeling job that was so incredible that looking back it almost feels like a dream?
I've had so many great modeling jobs, but one that stands out is when I shot an Anne Klein campaign with Steven Klein, and there was an elephant in the studio! 
What is your dream modeling job?
My dream modeling job would be to have a cosmetics contract. Also the Bulgari campaign. I love that they use actresses such as Rachel Weisz and Julianne Moore.
What have been your most recent dreams?
I currently have nightmares only! But, a current dream would be to work with Woody Allen or Alexander Payne. Also, to be performing my one woman show that I'm currently writing.
What was your love at first experience; modeling, acting or dancing?
I fell in love with ballet as a little girl. But then again I fell in love with being in front of the camera and on stage as well. I used to perform at home in front of the mirror as a child.
You can follow Claudia Mason on TWITTER @ClaudiaMason1